The poem "Woman Work” deals with the boredom felt in our daily life and especially of  woman.  Discuss

Ans:
A Household woman’s character has been resented in this poem by Maya Angelou. Every housewife remains busy all the day in work. She works like an ox but never complains. She is very hardworking. She starts her work from morning and continues till night. She looks after children. 
She keeps them clean and dry. She cleans the house. She presses the clothes of all family members. She buys food from market and cooks it. She looks after the garden and entertains the guests also. She does so many other works to give comforts to her family. 

After a constant labour, she wishes to enjoy the beauty and company of nature. She wants a break to refresh herself. She wants to change her dull life into a charming life. She becomes bored from this machine-like routine. 

She wishes for the company of nature. She asks for the blessings of sunshine, rain, snow and wind to give her an urge to live. She wants escape from daily chores of life. She says,

I have got the children to tend,
The clothes to mend,
The floor to mop,
The food to shop,

Then the chicken to fry,
The baby to dry,
I got company to feed,
The garden to weed,

I've got shirts to press
The tots to dress
The cane to be cut
I gotta clean up this hut

Then see about the sick
And the cotton to pick.
Shine on me, sunshine
Rain on me, rain
Fall softly, dewdrops

And cool my brow again.
Storm, blow me from here
With your fiercest wind
Let me float across the sky

'Til I can rest again.
Fall gently, snowflakes
Cover me with white
Cold icy kisses and

Let me rest tonight.
Sun, rain, curving sky
Mountain, oceans, leaf and stone
Star shine, moon glow
You're all that I can call my own.
                                                                          B.A punjab university 2014
                                                                                                             English paper A (first group)
Next
This is the most recent post.
Previous
Older Post

Post a Comment